Thursday, December 16, 2010

7-Year Old Blues

There's a fine line between being a concerned parent and being a bitch. I think I was the latter to my 7-year old son this morning. He is the youngest and very used to getting his own way. Well this morning he decided he didn't want to do his morning math flashcards or read. He ignored me, his under the blanket, and whined. He wanted to spend his morning on the computer watching Black Ops and Call of Duty videos on You Tube. I said "no", took away all screens for the day, and held my ground. He threw a tantrum, and then I lost my temper unfortunately.


This prompted him to wish he was born to another family, demand a nice Mommy, and declare that he was leaving the family. He walked out the front door crying. He didn't last long out there barefoot, wearing his summer pajamas in the snow when it was 15° outside. He stormed back inside and hid out in his room.


I'm sure you've all been there but it certainly isn't any fun for me or my child. I apologized to him as he ran off to the bus (this time fully clothed), still giving me the silent treatment. But what can you do? I love my son and refuse to let him do whatever he wants whenever he wants. Isn't that what being a parent is all about. Tough love every once in awhile.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As parents we now understand what our parents meant by "this will hurt me more than it hurts you". Our children will understand too someday --after they have kids of their own...