Thursday, September 29, 2011

My Washing Machine From Hell

I'm in my domestic goddess mode this morning given that my laundry room is overflowing out into the hallway. In my house the laundry is never ending. So I need machines that will get the job done for me. I've noticed that they just don't build washing machines like they used to. Does anyone else out there agree?

I'm a year into my second washing machine in my new house; my first one gave out after a mere 7 years of abuse. In my last house (circa early 1970s) the Whirlpool in the basement was easily 25 years old before I had to replace it. For starters I think it's absurd that I needed to replace my washing machine. It only lasted 7 years! Can you imaging how many new washing machines are sitting out there on the junk pile?!

I really wish I could have gotten a few more years out of my old top-loader because my new LG front-loader really is an expensive piece of junk. This new washer claimed it was energy efficient, water saving, and environmentally friendly. NOT! It wastes water, electricity, and it literally stinks when not in use. This washer spins so fast and so hard that my lights are shaking and the floor is rattling. Great, it's doing it's job. That's what one would like to think. No, it's actually adding lovely dark black streaks onto all of my whites from the disgusting rubber liner/sealer at the edge of the door. The same rubber sealer that creates the huge stink and still leaks water onto the floor.

My new LG washing machine is creating hours more work. You can probably guess just how much I love this! By adding fresh and nasty stains to my so-called "clean" laundry, the washer is effectively using more detergent (and bleach and stain remover), wasting more water because it takes at least two more rounds to remove the new stains, and requiring more drying time in the dryer. Isn't this machine supposed to make less work and be earth friendly? I think that whoever is designing these washing machines had better go back to the drawing board. 

I found it very odd that a new washing machine would add dark streaks to clothes and towels and leak water all over the floor. I did what anyone else would do. Call up Sears and send out the repairman while it's still under warranty. I was informed that this was normal. Normal! REALLY! Best of all, it was user error. (Me being the user.) This prompted a 20 minute lesson on how to load, clean, and use this machine. All of this instruction was thankfully at no charge. Who knew that you needed a tutorial to run a load of whites?

So if you are in the market for a new front-loader washing machine, don't buy one. Look everywhere for one of the traditional machines. As for the washing machine lessons, they helped a bit but my washer still likes to surprise me by making my laundry dirtier than when I put it in for a wash. Maybe I'm just not cut out to be a laundress.


6 comments:

Christianna said...

Just curious but is this "comment" section difficult to use or are you all just too busy doing your own laundry to comment?

SearsCare said...

To Christianna,

I came across your blog and I wanted to reach out and apologize for the issues you have had with your washer. I'm also very sorry that that you did not receive better service from Sears Home Services. We want you to be happy with your machine and would like to help you with the needed repairs. My name is James and I’m part of the Sears Cares Escalations team and we value you as a customer. At your convenience, please contact my office via email at smsupport@searshc.com. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the washer was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide your screen name (Christianna) for reference to your issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Thank you,
James H.
Social Media Moderator
Sears Social Media Support

Christianna said...

SearsCare,

I do appreciate the attention to detail by Sears. I didn't realize that Sears had an active Social Media Support team. Impressive in a "Big Brotherish" sort of way. I will be in touch soon James H. Thank you.

Christianna

LINDA Walker said...

Wow - how did Sears find you . . . undecided if it is creepy or cool, possibly the former. Hope you get a good fix on the washer!

dukeofnyc said...

Did Sears ever resolve the problem? Was it still "user error?" I have the same washer from Sears and am getting black streaks on my clothes now. What did they say to do?
Thanks

Christianna said...

Yes, Sears did resolve the problem. They eventually saw the light once I made the point that I did not have time to babysit my laundry. They hauled away the front loader that was a lemon and have replaced it with a top loader that works like a dream! No problems whatsoever in the year that I've had the new washing machine.

I have heard from SO MANY readers about the problems with their front loaders and all of the black streaks and smell issues. Thank you to Sears for resolving the issue. Although I believe my new machine is a Whirlpool, not a Sears brand.