Thursday, October 20, 2011

Closure for Pam Am 103 Families?



At long last, Muammar Qaddafi is dead. This is, of course, good news for the people of Libya who have lived under this militant dictator since 1968—the entirety of my life. His death may bring closure to the families of the victims of Pam Am Flight 103 that exploded over Lockerbie Scotland in December 1988. Qaddafi's face has long been the face of terror for me. (See the attached link to a previous article about my personal connection to Pan Am 103.)
http://christiannasblog-2011.blogspot.com/2011/01/misguided-compassion.html


As CNN and Fox News show celebrations of his death and the Libyan rebels cheering in the streets and shooting their machine guns skyward in jubilation, I think Libya's future hangs in the balance. Will Libya have a chance at democracy, freedom, and peace for it's people or will it implode like so many other Middle Eastern countries? Time will tell.


Will his death really bring closure? I hope that the families of the 270 people who died on December 21, 1988 will find peace and closure in Qaddafi's death. Even though I know he's dead and I've seen the footage, I still feel unsettled about the whole thing. A sick feeling in the pit of my stomach remains. I'm not feeling any closure or peace. Of course, I'm relieved that he's gone and is no longer a menace to the world. Yes he was murdered, but was he brought to justice? No. Neither have all of his accomplices. I guess that is what leaves me unnerved and restless. Innocent people died for no good reason, and I see no justice. The one person indicted in this tragedy remains free. Another is dead, but maybe death is ultimate punishment.

No comments: