Thursday, November 10, 2011

Only 44 Days and Counting

My 13-year old son excitedly showed me a link he found on-line for a countdown to Christmas. Only 44 days until Christmas! (As he rattles off his short but pricey Christmas wish list.) "Are you ready Mom?" No, this Mom is not nearly ready for Christmas as I still have the rotting Halloween pumpkins displayed on the front porch steps. I'd best get rid of those before pulling out the Christmas decorations.


The snow flurries in the air this morning remind me that the unavoidable is here—the Holidays! Wasn't it just the 4th of July? How could Christmas be only 44 days off? I think I'm in denial about the whole holiday season. Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas as much as anyone else but as a mother during the holiday season the busyness and stress levels rise. Although my husband and kids do help out, I think we all know that the bulk of the holiday preparation, cooking, and clean-up falls on one person. Mom.


This year I'm going to try to be prepared and ahead of the Christmas rush instead of lagging far behind. I already have the family Christmas card picture picked out, the silver will be polished by the end of the day, and I have a Christmas plan and budget. The plan is easy: Christmas at home this year. The budget always gets a bit tricky.


Have I started my Christmas shopping? No. Unlike my brother and his wife, who are the best and most dedicated Black Friday shoppers I know and who will have all of their Christmas shopping done by the end of the Thanksgiving weekend, I tend to put it off. Maybe it comes from my childhood shopping trips on Christmas Eve. I remember doing a whole lot of Christmas shopping on Christmas Eve and even closing up the mall before church on Christmas Eve. 


As for this Mom, I'm not remotely ready for Christmas. Ask me in a month and I'll probably give you the same answer. However I do have my Christmas amaryllis plants started. I know what I'm making for Christmas dinner and which cookies and pies I'm baking. Hopefully that counts for something. I'll probably still be the Mom up late with a glass of red wine, frantically wrapping Christmas presents on December 23rd. But that's okay as it's part of the tradition. Keep counting down those days and prepare your roast beast!


http://www.xmasclock.com/

No comments: