Monday, November 21, 2011

"Target" Black Friday

Target is opening it's doors for the droves of expected Black Friday shoppers at midnight on Thursday. This move has sparked a petition drive against Target with over 180,000 people signing an on-line petition against the retailer. A similar petition is gaining momentum against another Minnesota retailer also opening at midnight for Black Friday shoppers—Best Buy.

Have you noticed that every year Black Friday starts a little bit earlier? I think it was 2 am last year. Now it's midnight for 2011. Give it a couple of years and the stores will open at noon on Thanksgiving Day. Or even better, open all day for all of those hard core shoppers out there. Do you really need to spend Thanksgiving Day with family and friends? All of that warm, fuzzy family time is over-rated anyway. Wouldn't you, the thrifty consumer, rather be out trolling the mall or the aisles of Target searching for a bargain deal on "Let's Rock Elmo" or "Figit Friends" for your niece instead of spending time with her on Thanksgiving?

I blame Wal-Mart and the Mall of America. They are opening their doors at 10 pm on Thanksgiving night. But even worse, Toys R Us leads the pack with their opening slated for 9 pm. Target must follow suit. But is this all really necessary? Of course not.

The Target petition was started by a Target part-time employee in Nebraska who actually isn't working at Target on Thanksgiving Day. He's off, but he didn't think it was fair treatment for his Target friends who will have their Thanksgiving cut short. They must report to work at 11 pm. It's unfortunate, but it looks like that Black Friday wave of consumerism is powerfully pushing ahead. 

I'm proud to say that I'm a Black Friday sleeper. I sleep in after cooking and eating all day on Thanksgiving. If this issue really truly matters to you, do like I'm doing. Sleep in. Don't shop. Save your credit card for Cyber Monday. The deals will still be out there, you'll get to enjoy time with your family on Thanksgiving, and best of all sleep in on Friday.

8 comments:

Christianna said...

Please let me know if you are having trouble commenting. I've been hearing that it's not working out well and I've tried to fix the form. If it doesn't stick the first time, try it again. It also seems to work better if you have a Google Account.

Christianna

pat29 said...

Amen!!

Anonymous said...

I love Black Friday! My thought is is you don't want to be a part of it, then don't, stay home.
As far as that petition, give me a break. Take the day off if you don't want to work.
I might sound like a grinch but my opinion is if you don't like it then don't partake. :)

Kelleen said...

We put up our Christmas tree and enjoy family time!

Anonymous said...

Kmart is opening at 6am on THURSDAY morning! Reason enough to not shop there this season!

Christianna said...

6 AM at KMart. That's insane! I think I'd pay money NOT to shop there at 6 am on Thanksgiving Day. I feel for the KMart employees.

Amy said...

I agree with you 100%! Can't we just enjoy Thanksgiving with family and friends? Worrying about getting the best Christmas deal on something that no one will probably even care about six months later seems to miss the point of both Thanksgiving and Christmas!

Lindsay said...

Well said!!