Wednesday, December 14, 2011

I Miss Customer Service

Having just spent the last 2 hours on a "live chat" with a Kodak Gallery representative, I realized that I'm missing good old fashioned customer service over the phone. To make a long story short, Kodak's printing service messed up my Christmas cards, leaving off the name of my son Jack. Now I'm sure that some days Jack would rather not be a part of the family, but technically he had to have his name on the family Christmas card.

After searching the card box for a receipt or return slip, I found nothing. So I searched the website for a customer service 1-800 number. No such number that I could find. Kodak Gallery uses live chats to remedy their customer service issues. This would be fine except that Jose, my customer service guy, must have been chatting with other customers due to the 5- to 10-minute pauses between our chats. I thought it was interesting that Jose could let lots of minutes pass while I waited for his response; however, when I had to run Jack out to the bus stop to catch his school bus I was promptly dropped from the chat. Wait, that's SO not fair! Only about 1 minute of time had lapsed on my part. So the customer gets 1 minute to respond and the corporation gets as much time as necessary. I don't quite understand that.

My morning chat with Jose taught me that a problem that could be easily solved in 10 minutes over the phone took over 2 hours to resolve via "live chat." Do these "chats" save Kodak money by having Jose "chat" with multiple customers at once? I don't know about you, but I'd rather actually talk to a live person.

It does seem like I've had more than my fair share of customer service issues over the past few months. Kodak did eventually remedy the problem, but it just took far too long. Who has time for a 2 hour "live chat" when it's a mere 11 days before Christmas?

4 comments:

alyssa said...

At least you didn't have any trouble understanding the inevitable foreign accent, right?

Christianna said...

True, but his atrocious spelling made up for the missing foreign accent.

Jayne said...

I would LOVE to recommend Creative Memories for your future card needs. :-) Not that there is never a wait on their technical support line, but . . . there's no way a name could have gotten left off your order and I am always the first phone call for my customers, so . . . no waiting on hold and I speak English :-)

Christianna said...

Thanks Jayne! Creative Memories is a definite choice for my Christmas cards next year! Customer service really is key.