Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Is YOUR Igloo Ready?

As I stare at my computer screen bustling with cartoon penguins, I wonder to myself: "why can't my son be this productive around the house with our 'real' Christmas preparations?" This morning my 8-year old son, Jack, eagerly pulled me over to the computer. He was excited to show me the progress he's made on decorating and preparing his virtual igloo on Club Penguin where his penguin Bowman resides in his icy bubble of cyberspace. Unfamiliar with Club Penguin? I see it as Disney's answer to Facebook for kids 10 and under. Except that you are a penguin who interacts with other penguins while playing games, making new penguin friends, attending parties or concerts, shopping for accessories for your pet Puffle, or just hanging out in your fancy igloo. Just as addictive as Facebook too.

Anyway, Jack's igloo is all decked out. Twinkling lights, presents galore, Christmas music on his stereo, a skating rink with outdoor firepit, and a Christmas tree (fake as it is virtual after all). He even has a Salvation Army kettle and bell to collect donations from other penguins. He spent the other morning baking cookies on Club Penguin. Let's just say that Bowman the Penguin has it made with Jack in charge of a virtual Christmas.

My igloo isn't quite so ready. But it's getting there. I'm nearly finished baking my second round of cookies as the first round was eaten up. Most of my Christmas cards are in the mail. The house is finally decorated, which only took 8 days this year. (That tells me I have too many Christmas decorations.) Our "real" Christmas tree is up—no fake plastic trees. A couple of my amaryllis plants are ready to bloom just in time for Christmas day. My present buying binge is complete. If only I had a magic wand for all of the wrapping! The only thing missing is snow, but I have no control over that after all.

Will my son someday fondly look back and remember his Club Penguin Christmas igloo? Perhaps. I guess I'll have to tear my kids away from their "virtual" realities to experience the real Christmas season. Now only if we could get some real snow here in Minnesota to complement my festive igloo!

2 comments:

Aunt Marilyn said...

Your paternal grandmother Marian and great grandmother Minnie would be very proud of you! Your cut out Christmas cookies are decorated more beautifully than the ones they made every year in the century past for their families.

Congratulations and Merry Christmas!

Christianna said...

Thank you! I wish I could take complete credit for the decorating but I did have three expert cookie decorators helping me. They did as much eating as decorating though!

Merry Christmas!