Saturday, May 12, 2012

Cell Phone Harassment Abruptly Stops

As quickly as my cell phone stalker found me and put me on edge with incessant calls, it's come to an abrupt end. I think he is gone. I've blocked his moves or else he gave up on me and is now bothering some other poor soul. It's been nearly 48 hours since my last call from Irvine, California. I'm falling back into my routine again. I don't jump out of my skin every time my cell phone rings. No strange package from the United States government turned up on my front porch. I feel safe again.

As I think back over the course of the past few days and those harassing calls, I still don't know what to make of it. The guy certainly did not have a package to deliver to me. I think he wanted money. A credit card number and my home address. Identity theft? Credit card fraud? Perhaps . . . but such an odd way to go about getting money out of someone. Was his scheme to harass me with constant annoying calls, hoping that I would give in? Give him my credit card number just to get the package delivered so that he would stop calling? How stupid does he think I am? Although I must be somewhat naive as I did manage to let my cell phone number float around enough that it was picked up by this loser with a garbled Asian accent.

I did pick up some good bits of advice if this happens again. From my sister-in-law, who always has my back and checked in with the police, blow a whistle or an air horn into the receiver. That should do the trick after a few calls. From my neighbor with the county police, call the police if it happens again or if there is a pattern that continues like in my case. It may be a scam.

I think he's right that it was some sort of a scam. Unfortunately I somehow got caught up in the middle of it all. I'm sure he is harassing someone else, but I'm hoping he makes some stupid move and gets caught by the police. Just in case though, I'm keeping those numbers and "Unknown" calls blocked from my cell. For me at least, this cell phone harassment apparently has ended.

Lesson learned though—be careful with your personal information and don't give out that cell phone number to just anyone.

No comments: