Monday, May 28, 2012

Peony Love

It's that time of year again when my favorite flower is in full bloom in my garden. Peonies! Without fail, they blossom beautifully every year leading up to my birthday. This year being no exception, given Minnesota's summer-like March and monsoon May, the peonies survived. I'm pleased to report my peonies are thriving and are in full bloom this Memorial Day.

In a way peonies are a sort of rememberance for me. Certain types of peonies remind me of peony bushes that once grew in the gardens of my grandmothers. In fact I do think that one of my bushes is actually from my grandmother's Wisconsin garden. That garden is long gone, but her peony bush lives on in my Minnesota soil.

I have vases of peonies scattered around the house, adorning the rooms with their beauty and lovely scent. But like most good things in life, they don't last nearly as long as I'd like. I do always hate to see them go though. That's part of the reason for this post . . . in the dead of winter I can pull up this article and see my favorite Spring blossoms in the garden.

Enjoy them while you can as they will be gone far too soon.

2 comments:

Mad Hatter said...

A kind of Peony Tale.... how quaint!

Christianna said...

Well said Mad Hatter!