Monday, October 29, 2012

Oh Baby! What a Name!

I'm not one to follow Hollywood celebrity—DC celebrity perhaps, but usually not California. Do you remember hearing that 42-year old Uma Thurman and her beau Arpad Busson had a baby girl back in July? I always marvel that women over age 40 have enough energy for a new baby, but that's not what struck me about Uma's baby daughter. It's her name. Ready for this? Rosalind Arusha Arkadina Altalune Florence Thurman-Busson. According to People Magazine, Uma and Arki are calling her Luna and each of her names hold special meaning for her parents. http://celebritybabies.people.com/2012/10/17/uma-thurman-arpad-busson-name-daughter-rosalind-arusha-arkadina-altalune-florence/

Luna has quite a name to fill. Not only seven names but also a hyphen thrown in there. It makes sense that it took Uma over three months to officially name her child. Uma and her boyfriend must have been thinking up those names ever since Luna's first sonogram.

I'm the bearer of a long and somewhat unpronouncable name (but nowhere near baby Luna's).  Last year I tried to actually use my real name of Christianna instead of the nickname Christi. This experiment didn't go over so well. I never knew there were so many ways to pronounce Christianna. Then my mother actually informed me that I was pronouncing my name incorrectly. That's really bad! It's actually the "Dutch" pronunciation of Christianna. Although I love my given name, no one except my mother and my friend Drew can correctly pronounce my name. I gave up and went back to Christi.

As for baby Luna Thurman-Busson . . . seriously, why does someone do that to a child? I thought that the drawn-out, flowing aristocratic sounding names were reserved solely for royalty. All of the lengthy formal names that must pay tribute to long dead, royal relations. Some say that Hollywood is America's royalty, but must self-proclaimed Hollywood royals really follow suit with the endless names? A bit pretentious perhaps.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What I want to know is why some parents name their child a normal name but with a strange spelling. Don't they realise that this child will be hounded for the rest of their lives with having to inform others that they have spelled their name incorrectly. It sounds like a great idea at the time as you want your child to be different but think how annoying that would be to always have to correct others on the spelling - argh!!!