Wednesday, December 19, 2012

A Similar Obsession?

As a child I remember visiting my grandparent's house where the main level of the house had a dining room containing numerous china cabinets full of dishes. So many cabinets and dishes that the back end of the house was eventually jacked up and reinforced to support the weight. Downstairs in the basement were glass cases filled with rows of meticulously arranged rifles and guns. Both of my grandparents had hobbies. Perhaps obsessions with dishes and guns.

Nearly a week after the horrible beyond belief scenario of the school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut gun control debates are heating up. Certain types of guns are flying off the shelves in anticipation of a major crackdown on gun sales in the US. Did you know that over 3 million Americans own an AR-15? This was the gun used against children in that horrific massacre last Friday morning. This gun is heavily marketed toward men and promoted on cable TV shows and in video games. Probably the same video games my boys play on the Xbox.

CBS News had an interesting breakdown of why people own a AR-15.
  • 49% target shooting
  • 22% hunting
  • 28% protection
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-57560147/a-gun-enthusiast-explains-his-hobby/

It's sad to think that we live in a country where people truly believe they need a gun of this calibre for protection.

A dozen Sid Dickens tiles hang on my foyer wall. That's about the extent of any organized collection I own with the exception of the collections of dishes I've inherited from my grandmother's overflowing dining room. My husband has countless golf clubs in the basement. Our tiny obsessions perhaps, but it would be difficult to kill a bunch of innocent children in a few minutes with a Sid Dickens tile or a Wedgwood dinner plate.

I realize the right to bear guns is in the US Constitution, but that was written nearly 300 years ago in a completely different time. I'm not against people owning guns for hunting or even self defense, but do you really need a semi-automatic weapon with clips of bullets? Even scarier if you have more than one of these types of guns around the house.

I know that guns don't kill people; people kill people. People carting semi-automatic rifles end up killing people. Maybe it is time to rethink gun control laws in the US. Perhaps it is time to truly debate why civilians need these types of combat weapons given that these weapons are clearly falling into the wrong hands and killing innocent children.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said. Couldn't agree more.
-Mike

Sue said...

My sentiments exactly and I have been saying this since the day we arrived here. Living outside the US when we would hear of something going on we would say "only in America" - in the old days when you lived in the middle of nowhere - literally you may have needed a rifle but not in suburbia. Get real and I am so happy this is on the table for discussion. Australia actually used to allow weapons and brought in a law about 20 years ago for people to give in and give up weapons. I understand they did not receive all the guns in circulation but it makes a safer environment. Nobody in civilian life needs any type of automatic weapon like the one you show.
On a lighter note, how would my silver spoon collection be seen?

Christianna said...

Even though the gun "turn in" drives never net all of the guns out there, it's a start, isn't it? I'm glad that some readers out there do agree with me.

As for your silver spoon collection, could be lethal if you could throw them properly at someone!