Saturday, December 8, 2012

One Chic Mom Returns to Work

After two years of searching for a job, this chic mom has upended her own self-proclaimed "Mommy Penalty" and is finally venturing out of the house and happily returning to the office. This is all a very "good thing" as my new employer had the foresight to see past what other employers could not envision: an entrepreneur with talent and drive despite being at home with her kids. If only other employers out there could have that vision and trust to tap into other Moms who have chosen to take time off and are now searching for employment.

So now a shift from shuttling kids around to commuting. The laundry and dirty dishes will remain. The long wanders around Target, the mid-day workouts at the gym, and hours spent volunteering time at the local elementary school are over. It's time to empower my own children to take care of themselves and not rely so much on me. My family can find their way along that winding road without me in the middle guiding them along. The baby days are past, and I'm embracing the next chapter of my life.

That chapter starts on Monday morning. The question on my mind is: How will I ever get myself and three kids (and their lunches, homework, and instruments) out of the door by 8 am? As if that isn't enough of a challenge, Mother Nature must throw in a twist. The first major winter storm of the season is expected to dump up to 8 inches of snow on top of the Twin Cities just in time for the Monday morning commute.

Bring it on! I can handle a few inches of snow after 15 years of caring for three kids. The snow will just make my first day on the job all the more memorable!

In case you are interested, I'll be the new Communications Coordinator for a small Twin Cities non-profit organization that focuses on the humanities. But don't worry, this blog will live on, and I'll continue to post about the adventures of being one chic working Mom in suburbia.

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

Congratulations, Christi on your new job as Communications Coordinator - sounds like something you've been doing all these years as an At Home Mom.

We wish you and your family well on these new responsibilities for all.

Marilyn

alyssa said...

Congrats on the new job! Can't wait to hear how it goes. Good luck with those roads - they are slow going. Hopefully you don't have too far to go.