Monday, January 21, 2013

Naive Washing Machine Owner or Lazy, Unprofessional Installers?

I'm not sure if this is a case of Sears installers making an expensive mistake or my own stupidity. It might be a combination of both. If you've been reading this blog for awhile, you will remember back to my hassles and headaches surrounding a particular front load washing machine I purchased from Sears. The one that smelled nasty, left black streaks on the whites, and leaked water out of the front of the machine. To make a very long story short, Sears finally did the right thing and replaced my "lemon" washing machine free of charge with a lovely Whirlpool model that works perfectly. End of story so I thought.

To refresh your memory on where my story left off back in February 2012 see the attached link:
http://christiannasblog-2011.blogspot.com/2012/02/sears-successfront-loader-from-hell.html
Overall the new top load washing machine works perfectly—it smells fresh, cleans the clothes without leaving black streaks, and keeps the water inside of the machine. Except there was always one little nagging problem. It was always hot.

The laundry room is tiny, and I noticed once the new washing machine arrived that little room turned into a steam bath when the washer was doing it's job. At the end of a cycle the clean, damp clothes were always really hot and the glass cover was always steamed up. No wanting to tempt fate or upset the washing machine gods, I resolved to solve this problem myself and not call Sears.

The hot and cold must be reversed. After inspecting the water hoses that lead to the water hook ups under the sink, the washing machine hoses were hooked up correctly. However I did not look at the hoses attached directly to the washing machine. I figured maybe it's so hot because the machine spins so fast and must generate lots of heat during the spin cycle. Happy in my own mind with this solution months passed by until this past weekend when my mother stepped in and helped with the laundry chores.

I arrived home from my son's basketball game to find my parents in the laundry room with the new washing machine pulled completely out as well as all of the treasures (read junk) that lives underneath the sink where the water hooks up. As I originally suspected and confirmed by my Dad, the hot and cold water hoses were reversed on the back of the machine. The hot was hooked up on the cold and vice versa. Eureka! That explains the constant hot water and perpetual steam. The problem was easily solved with a pliers.

So whose fault is this? Sears for installing the new washing machine incorrectly not once but THREE TIMES or mine for writing it off as a quirk of the machine. I try to wash in cold to save money and hate to think how much money I've wasted unknowingly washing clothes in hot water for an entire year! I guess that explains much of the shrinkage as well. Perhaps I should take a course in basic plumbing to prevent such a problem in the future.

As for my Sears installers friends, if you are a "professional" installer, shouldn't you know the difference between hot and cold? I would only hope that other professional washing machine installers do not reverse the hot and cold or at least take the time to test the machine before the leave a customer's house. It all boils down to customer service, which seems a relic of the past.

For the entire washing machine saga, enter in the key words "washing machine" into the Search box on this blog. All of my stories about the washing machine will unfold before you.

1 comment:

Marilyn Boock Schmidt said...

Three cheers for your Mom and Dad! The older generation still has a few bits of expertise to pass on to the younger generation!

Way to go, Cheri and Dave!