Monday, April 8, 2013

The Legacy of Three Iconic Ladies

Why do deaths always come in threes? Upon arrival at my office this morning I heard that Margaret Thatcher died of a stroke. She was 87. While looking at the front page of today's New York Times, I learned with dismay that Lilly Pulitzer died yesterday at age 81. While wondering who would be number 3, a Fox Breaking News story flashed across my screen, showing that Annette Funicello succumbed to complications of MS at age 70. These women are iconic legends in their own ways, and oddly all died within 24 hours of each other.

Of all three women, I found Margaret Thatcher larger than life. Whether or not you agreed with her tactics or politics, Margaret Thatcher was an incredibly head-strong woman who influenced many lives while creating history impacted by her own policy. The Iron Lady once advised President George H. W. Bush after Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait in 1990 saying: "Remember George, this is no time to go wobbly." The only woman Prime Minister of Great Britain never considered going wobbly during her three consecutive terms in office.

Annette Funicello. Who doesn't love Annette? Although the original Mickey Mouse club was way before my time, I did know Annette Funicello. She was the face of the Micky Mouse club who "always thought of Walt Disney as my second father." She was also the star of the 1960s beach party films, including the infamous Beach Blanket Bingo with Frankie Avalon.

I actually thought that Lilly Pulitzer had already died years ago, so I was quite surprised to read that she was alive up until this past weekend. My closet is full of Lilly. She created her iconic shift dresses out of necessity in 1959 while operating her juice stand in Palm Beach, Florida. She needed a dress that would hide juice spills; the Lilly was born. In her prime, Pulitzer even created a dress for Jackie Kennedy out of kitchen curtains. My colorful collection of Lilly Pulitzer shift dresses that never go out of style are still awaiting the arrival of spring. Lilly once said, " I didn't set out to be born unusual or different, I just wanted to do things my way."

Three iconic ladies who left a legacy on politics, fashion, and entertainment. And did you notice that all three had the big and perfect hair going for them? Not a strand out of place, except maybe Annette's while grooving on the beach with Frankie.

4 comments:

Kristie H. said...

Nice tribute, Christi. I enjoyed reading it. :)

pat29 said...

Good post.

Linda Walker said...

Nicely written Chrissy. 3 amazing ladies!

Christianna said...

Thank you! I could not help being inspired by the lives they lived.