Sunday, June 23, 2013

What I Miss Most About My Former Life as a Housewife—Time

A Facebook post: June 19 near Saint Paul via mobile 2 mile run outside, dog walked, drove weight training carpool, dashed into Caribou coffee, Target run, and in my office by 9 am. Whew! Time to start my day! Comment: I'm tired just reading your status update.

Does this sound like the start of your day? Yes! Then I'm glad I'm not alone. As I approach the end my sixth month on the job, I realize what I'm missing most about returning to work is time. I have no time! What did I do with all of that time when I was a stay-at-home Mom?

With babies, toddlers, and preschoolers under my charge for at least 10 of the last 15 years, I know where that time went. All into care and maintenance of growing children, preparing them to leave the nest and enter Kindergarten. But where did those last 5 years disappear?

I now realize what an incredible gift I was given to spent all of those years at home with my kids. Those last five years were for them, but also for me. Five years of blogging, training for races, hours spent in the gardens, growing a graphic design business, and far too much time wandering around Target. Home-cooked meals for nearly every dinner, book club, volunteering at the elementary school, hours spent watching kids compete in their various ballgames, waiting out evening orchestra rehearsals at Starbucks, and thousands of miles logged driving kids around. Let's not forget those years spent searching for a job and finally landing in a perfect fit.

Simply put:  staying home with the kids is far from easy. It's quite exhausting, but very fulfilling. I wouldn't trade those years for anything!

I do miss the time that I had for all of my activities from my previous life. Since I returned to working out of the house, I've had a crash course in time management. Prioritize tasks, combine errands, organize carpools, and use time wisely. Life is short, and so is our time. Count yourself lucky if you can spend time doing something you love and surrounded by those you love.

3 comments:

Kristie H. said...

I understand missing time. what I miss also is having energy to devote to my dysgraphic son who needs extra help with homework. and having energy in the evenings to hang out with my kids. And I don't feel as connected to them as I did for the first 8 years of their lives. I go to bed so early just to be able to make it through the work day, and my workday is only 6 hours a day. I would quit my job in a heartbeat if I could afford it, even though I enjoy it. I'm interested in following your experience with the work world, so thanks for writing about it.

Christianna said...

Thanks Kristie! Missing time and energy seem somewhat intertwined, don't you think? Less time for sleep equals less energy and less quality time for work and family. Maybe we're all just trying too hard to meet too many demands in our life.

I would love time to just stop so that I could take a moment and finally get caught up. I wish someone could figure that one out!

Diane said...

I miss having a remotely clean house and making lots of homemade goodies. My schedule is lightening up with mid-summer approaching and I'm looking forward to a bit more of this precious time!