Sunday, July 7, 2013

Summer—Not Quite the Same From an Office

Grand Teton National Park,
Wyoming
Now that summer has finally reached the Upper Midwest, I feel like I've been missing out on my most favorite season—Summer! This longing for the summer experience comes from being at home with my kids and working from home for the past 15 years. Those days are gone. Now I work in an office and gaze out my window at these glorious summer days.

Sleeping Bear Dunes, Michigan
I'm not complaining though! I love my job and going to work each morning. But I think everyone must secretly wish to have the summer off. Especially with small children, being home was ideal. When they were really little, long stroller walks along the Potomac River, trips to the National Zoo, strawberry picking, and hours spent playing at the local parks. As the kids grew up: sunny afternoons spent at the pool, hanging out with friends and family at one of Minnesota's many lakes, bike rides to the beach park, a long weekend spent with friends at the water parks of Wisconsin Dells, and far too many trips to the local Dairy Queen for ice cream.
The Kalahari, Wisconsin Dells


EPCOT at Disney World
 All of that time to work in the garden on a Wednesday morning, take the kids for a 10-day trip to see their grandparents, taking road trips out West to Yellowstone, down South to Florida, or out East to Washington, DC, and visits to Japan to climb Mt. Fuji.

I do miss being outdoors in the summer and enjoying the free time that summer offers. It is all sort of a juggle isn't it? Time can be stretched to include many of these same activities, but now I have to learn to live with limits. No more jaunts to Japan or a spur of the moment run to the pool for the afternoon.

National Gallery of American Art,
Washington DC
Nearly at the top
Mt. Fuji, Japan
It is okay though. There was a time for all of that, and I do feel lucky that I had those 15 carefree summers to spend with my kids from when they were babies into their teen (and nearly teen) years. I realize that everything in life has a season. With those fond memories, I can survive another week of summer days in my office.

No comments: