Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Who Needs New Year's Resolutions?

Tired of never quite fulfilling that list of New Year's resolutions you made a year ago today? Me
too. I can safely say that I very rarely achieve any of my New Year's resolutions. I am the queen of partial achievement. Last year I resolved to not be late, ever. That did not work out so well given that I am always running at least 5 minutes late.

However, I did manage to consistently not be late for my staff and team meetings at work for an entire year. For me that is a major accomplishment and a baby step on the way to running 5 minutes early.

This year resolutions are passe. It's all about goals. Goals are more realistic and much more achievable. Plus with goals, if you don't quite reach the full goal you have at least made great progress toward your final goal. Resolutions can be an endless list. Goals, however, have limits and can be quite broad. I'm limiting myself to three goals this year:
  1. Running the annual Brian Kraft 5K race in under 30 minutes.
  2. Cutting back on my sugar intake.
  3. Expanding my vegetable garden to grow a few more herbs and vegetables this summer (if summer ever arrives).
See how easy that is?! Three spacious, achievable, and good-for-you goals for 2013. 

If I did have a resolution this year it would be to escape the 30 below zero cold and move to Puerto Rico. Again proving that my resolutions are unattainable. Just think goals, not resolutions this year and perhaps you will have obtainable goals instead of unrealistic resolutions. 

I wish you a few doable goals and a very happy night ringing in 2014. 
Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

Resolutions 2 & 3 I will try to keep. Number 1 is WAY above my fitness level. Way to Go, Christi!