Wednesday, February 25, 2015

ISIS Scores Three Child Brides for Jihadists

Why didn't anyone stop them? Perhaps I'm asking the most obvious of the obvious hindsight questions. But really, did any authorities or even any other parents attempt to stop or question trio of  15- and 16-year-old British school girls who boarded a flight to Turkey last week? They have most certainly made it to Syria by now.

As a parent I do try to be somewhat clued in on the lives of my children. If one of my kids has even an inkling of becoming a jihadist or an odd obsession with ISIS I would hope to know. Apparently ISIS has a very sophisticated social media campaign designed to recruit teen boys and girls to come to Syria and join the terrorist cause. Seems as if it is working. And all the more reason to monitor your teen's social media.

What I do not understand is why the British authorities, police, and/or the British version of the TSA did nothing to stop these girls? They were being monitored and the authorities knew about them weeks before they left the U.K. So why let them board a plane to Turkey? I have the luck of being stopped going through security far too often for lots of interesting reasons. Perhaps the TSA and others charged with keeping the skies safe are targeting and stopping the wrong people. Lots of would-be terrorists must not have those underlying issues with airport security that I have. Or else I look more like a threat to national security.

When you have 15-year-old girls being lured to Syria with the promise of a new microwave, a milkshake maker, and a future in terror something is definitely wrong with this world. A very sad day when smart, young women decide to join ISIS and become jihadist's brides. Very sad. Again it makes me wonder when someone will be brave enough to step up and actually make an attempt to stop this madness.

No comments: