Thursday, May 7, 2015

Early Demise of a Vintage Mac

"Ma'am? Your iMac is actually vintage and cannot be fixed." There are a number of things wrong with this statement. For starters do not call me "Ma'am." Somehow this term has permeated our culture and is deemed appropriate and respectful. It is not. Secondly, how can a seven-year old computer possibly be vintage? Probably the same way an ancient, forty-something woman can be called Ma'am. Finally, "cannot be fixed" comes off as negative with an expensive underside. Unfixable = replace with new model.

All of the machines and technology that keep my life running with ease are slowly dying out and deserting me. My iMac, which has my life for the past 7 years bound within its circuitry, has a very much broken graphic card that is embedded within the logic board. Technical, yes. Expensive to fix, yes. You know what I will be doing over the weekend. Sadly replacing my vintage iMac.

I should probably replace my aging iPhone along with it since it is nearly 5 years old. My certainly vintage 2006 iPod is at capacity but fortunately shows no signs of a breakage.

But what happens to all of this "vintage" technology? Especially when a request to recycle the "vintage" iMac was met with a blank stare at the computer store. All I can picture is a landfill littered with old iMacs, laptops, iPhones, and iPods.

I guess my iMac will be joining my old lemon washing machine (http://christiannasblog-2011.blogspot.com/2011/11/my-lg-lemon-washing-machine-strikes.html) and perhaps my new washing machine that has recently decided to act vintage and not work properly. Remember when machines used to last for decades? Seems like such an expensive waste. Especially when vintage takes on the new meaning of trash.

No comments: