Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Walking Meeting Anyone?


Meetings are killing me. Literally they are. All of those hours spent sitting in meetings cannot be good for anyone. Too much time spent sitting in meetings and limited activity equals a few too many extra pounds on my frame that are especially difficult to remove given lack of activity during the work week. A sedentary life is not healthy.

I had the luxury (if you can call it that) of having the most difficult job I ever loved and despised simultaneously. Stay-at-home Mom for 14 years. As much as I loved staying home with my kids, I did miss my former life amongst adults in an office setting. Now that I've been back in the office setting for a few years I admit that I'm missing the active lifestyle of a stay-at-home Mom, but not necessarily all of the duties that go along with that job title.

After reading far too many studies about the horrible effects of an inactive lifestyle on your body and feeling my own inactivity settling in, I did my own comparative study. Since I don't own a FitBit or a Nike activity tracker, I used the Health setting on my iPhone to track my activity on a typical active Saturday around the house versus a 10-hour Tuesday in the office with the usual volume of sitting down meetings tossed in the mix. Here's what I discovered:
  • A Saturday full of running errands, a workout, taking the dog for a long walk, and cleaning up around the house—10,820 steps/5.23 miles/13 flights of stairs climbed.
  • A long Tuesday at the office with six sit-down meetings, lunch at my desk, catching up on emails and tasks, and taking the dog for a short spin around the cup-de-sac after work—5,437 steps/2.63 miles/12 flights of stairs climbed (at least climbing the office stairs helped).
Interesting isn't it? Half the amount of movement on a typical Tuesday in the office. No wonder adult obesity rates are on the rise in the U.S.

I encourage you to try your own activity study with your iPhone or FitBit. The hardest part was keeping my iPhone attached to my body all day. My little comparative study is very much an eye opener that has motivated me to move around more at the office, go for a walk at lunch if it is not too cold or snowy outside, not skip the gym, and try to tack on more evening activity.

Since my office probably won't invest in treadmill desks perhaps I'll have to recommend outdoor walking meetings once spring finally arrives in Minnesota!

2 comments:

Michael Williams said...

Hi, Christie! As a stay-at-home dad for the past almost 3 years, I appreciated this post. It helped me put my increasingly grass is greener mentality into some perspective. Thank you! Hope you are all well!

Christianna said...

Hi Michael!
I'm sure that you are putting in 20,000 steps chasing after those three adorable boys. Savor your time with them. Hours of sitting in a desk chair in meetings will always be there. All is good here, but missing friends like you back in Virginia!